This page contains the 12 poems from the 30th Anniversary Special Edition Where the Sidewalk Ends.
In addition, there are interesting facts about Shel Silverstein and some fun trivia on his poems.
30th Anniversary Special Edition Poems
Have you read the poem Invisible Boy from Where the Sidewalk Ends? My version of it is special—almost invisible in fact! Read it here—if you can see it, that is!
Hint: Highlight the text to make the poem easier to read.
Test your knowledge on Shel Silverstein's poems!
Did You Know?
1. Shel Silverstein began drawing cartoons while serving in the Armed Forces in Japan and Korea in 1950.
2. Silverstein's first story book was Lafcadio:The Lion Who Shot Back.
3. It took 4 years to get one of his most popular books, The Giving Tree, published because of its sad ending and its appeal to readers of all ages making it difficult to categorize.
4. He wrote a number of highly popular songs for performers like Johnny Cash, Dr. Hook, and Waylon Jennings.
5. Silverstein's narration of his poetry collection Where the Sidewalk Ends won a Grammy Award for Best Children's Album.
6. He received an Academy Award nomination for the music he composed for the film Postcards From the Edge.
7. His books have sold over 20 million copies and been translated into 20 different languages.
8. Silverstein illustrated his own poems with whimsical black and white drawings.
9. His poetry has won numerous awards and honors including ALA Notable Children's Book Award, New York Times Outstanding Children's Book, Association of Booksellers for Children Notable Titles and A Library of Congress Children's Book selection.
10. Tomi Ungerer was a close friend of Silverstein.
You can contact me if you have any questions/comments/advice, if you want to recommend a poem by Silverstein, or if you just want to be friends!
I hope you're having fun! Don't forget to tell your friends all about this site so everyone can enjoy Shel Silverstein's poems!